Thursday, May 28, 2015

10 things you need to know about your first trimester

Pre-pregnancy





Oh me oh my! My body does NOT like pregnancy. This is my third pregnancy, and my first that has made it this far. I suffer from horrible morning sickness (throughout the day...), bloating (I look more pregnant in my 7 week photo than now! Drink your water people, helps with the bloating), constipation, dizziness, loose joints, insomnia, sharp shooting pains, etc.... You name it! I always imagined I'd be that person who could workout just as hard and you wouldn't even notice I'm pregnant. But that is NOT the case for me.

I have taken it quite easy since becoming pregnant. First off, I have lost two babies before and wanted to go easy on my body. Secondly, my normal workout routine causes lots of cramping for me! I did a lot of interval training and high intensity workouts, and therefore I've had to adjust a lot! I'll jog and do weights, maybe low impact interval training. Although they say to focus on your core your first trimester, I can't. It makes me cramp too much, and even if the cramping is okay, it scares me. I can't do things like burpees (the jumping my feet back jolts my uterus) and feel like a total wimp. But I'm starting to find out what I can do and how I can still get good workouts in even with my limitations! I'll have more posts to come on what my workout routines consist of now.

But for right now, I'm gonna give 10 facts on what early pregnancy CAN be like (it's so different with everyone!):

1. Don't freak out if you have a spot of blood. 

You can expect spotting, but if it's anything more, be very concerned. If it's bright red, be concerned. *Disclaimer: for those intimate spousal times, you MIGHT have bright red spotting. This could be from your cervix getting irritated. Don't freak out if after the deed is done you have slight spotting, keep your eye on it and if no more comes out or it's fine in the morning, you should be okay.

2. Expect to pee a lot.

How horrible is it that the time you need people's sympathy is the time when you're supposed to keep your pregnancy secret?! I had to pee all the time at work, and this is because all of the new hormones in your body. And then about 3-4 times each night... Say goodbye to sound sleeping!

3. Constipation.

Yeah, you get it. I found that taking fiber supplements made me gassy, so now I combine a probiotic supplement with fiber (they feed off of each other) and it is better your your digestion and relieves a lot of the gas! (Check below to see what I use to relieve constipation!)

4. Bloating and zits

You might feel huge right away, and this is because of bloating. Drink LOTS of water, and keep active! As for the acne, I have no answer. I have never struggled with acne before, but immediately upon getting pregnant I have become quite the adolescent... I went on a two week fast food craving spree so maybe that didn't help as well! I flipped a switch and now am on a clean eating crave (where all I desire is clean foods).

5. Dizziness and headaches

Keep your eye on these things, for they could be signs of other problems. But I struggle with dizziness like an old man (each time I get up I have to hold on to something), and headaches every now and then. 

6. Sharp shooting pains

Also could be a sign for concern (talk to your doctor). I had immense shooting pains, to the point that I couldn't sleep at night. It was very scary. But everyone's body is different and reacts differently to hormones and your uterus stretching. If there's no blood, don't freak out, if it continues and you're worried, call your doctor.

7. Cramping and loose joints

I have cramping right away when I get pregnant. I never made it far enough before to experience the loose joints, but I now get to experience that lovely side effect. I feel so old and useless, but I NEVER do anything that feels uncomfortable and I stop when my knees start to act up. That could be  a mere minute into your workout, but don't lose heart! Do something low impact even if it doesn't give you the sweat you want.

8. MORNING SICKNESS

I'm sorry all, I don't have an answer for this. I've tried saltines, gingerale, ginger tea, ACV, etc... Nothing helps. In fact you might feel so sick that the thought of ingesting any of those things sounds repulsive. It can come and go throughout the day. Although it's miserable, I take it as a good sign. When I miscarried, I lost the feeling of nausea the day before. So now I treasure each time I feel it knowing that something is still living in me! Keep your belly consistently filled and keep active! Both of these relieve nausea temporarily. 

9. Crazy terrible emotions.

I was on high dosage of birth control to control endometriosis pains prior to getting pregnant. Once they switched me to the high dosage, my emotions leveled out. I felt like a champion! When I went off the pill to get pregnant, I became a basket case. So imagine that, times a million once you get pregnant. The world might possibly end. 

10. Remember your husband

That first trimester might kill your libido, and it might make you a total witch. I try to remember my husband's needs, and I apologize when I'm not feeling well. It may not seem fair that you need to apologize, but I still do. I know I'm not fun when I'm a total sick basket case for three months. Even when feeling sick, I try to suck it up as much as possible to be intimate and love on my husband. My belly is only going to get bigger and I'm only to come up with MORE excuses as the rest of the 9 months progress. Don't make the whole 9 months all about you, remember your husband in this process as it is hard on him, also!

No comments:

Post a Comment